Okay, so if you know me then maybe you are thinking to yourself…
“This girl has spent way too much time in London!”
Perhaps I have (actually, no that’s not possible) but fall is fast approaching and with the rainy weather covering the UK, there is no better time than to cozy up with a warm cuppa tea. And yes, that’s what I’m doing now and was the source of inspiration for this blog post!
Turmeric tea (aka Golden Milk) is one of my favourite recipes to welcome the autumn season with.
Tumeric is a rhizome (that means related to the ginger family) and hosts loads of anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. This makes turmeric particularly good in helping the body to fight off disease, especially during this vulnerable time of year. The following recipe can be followed directly or modified to suit your individual tastes.
I prefer making my tea with coconut or almond milk first thing in the morning. In my mind, it’s the autumn equivalent of the summertime smoothie.
Golden Milk (aka) Tumeric Tea
- 1 tsp ghee or coconut oil
- 1 cup coconut or almond milk (or base of your choice)
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon or cinnamon sticks
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- *honey to taste
- In saucepan, gently heat up ghee or coconut oil
- Add ginger, turmeric, black pepper and cinnamon then stir until mixed thoroughly.
- Pour small amount of coconut or almond milk over mixture.
- Break up any lumps that may appear and warm milk until spices are dissolved.
- Add rest of milk and continue heating until desired warmth (note: do not bring to boil).
- Serve immediately and enjoy!